• Hello, Guest!
    Are you passionate about Tribal Wars 2 and like to help your fellow players?
    We currently have open positions for Forum Moderators!

>> Join the Tribal Wars 2 Team now! <<
    We would love to hear from you!

Rumors by Fleetwood Mac Featuring Xenophontos Monastery

DeletedUser5302

I don't necessarily agree, and many of the problems are laymen trying to understand what the scientists are saying and when they misunderstand they do dangerous and harmful things like anti-vax or the more politically controversial climate change denial.
Which is exactly why scientists should explain in lay terms - they can't expect the general public to be able to understand scientific terms for every subject

DeletedUser4689

I don't necessarily agree, and many of the problems are laymen trying to understand what the scientists are saying and when they misunderstand they do dangerous and harmful things like anti-vax or the more politically controversial climate change denial.
was it einstein who said it... if you can't explain something to a child you don't understand it.

Which is exactly why scientists should explain in lay terms - they can't expect the general public to be able to understand scientific terms for every subject
Well, that isn't what i'm saying. I'm saying that the scientific community should expect that the laymen doesn't change the terms to mean something different so they can disagree on the basis of ignorance.

DeletedUser4689

Well, that isn't what i'm saying. I'm saying that the scientific community should expect that the laymen doesn't change the terms to mean something different so they can disagree on the basis of ignorance.
your entire argument reeks of esl edvin. "proof" has far more uses than mathematical. you are wrong on this one. i have seen nobody invoke any sort of mathematical proof here.

No he means the word has many definitions in the dictionary... only one of which is mathematical - you may not like this but it is true
It still doesn't change that it is problematic. You can't expect the scientists to always change their terms when a political movement wants extra ammunition in the form of changing what science says.

DeletedUser5302

It still doesn't change that it is problematic. You can't expect the scientists to always change their terms when a political movement wants extra ammunition in the form of changing what science says.
There are many more lay men than there are scientists - scientists are the ones that need to adapt - scientists need to say what they mean in clear lay terms to avoid confusion

DeletedUser4689

dude. this is not "changing definitions" just because the first use you happened to come across was mathematical does not make it the only definition.

Also, also, edvin/thatsmyspot pls stop the circle jerk i know you all love each other but it's getting a bit gay
[/QUOTE]

edvins not my type mate heist female with big tits and long hair ... i don't think anyway? Lol

Hes my 2nd in command on forums let him enjoy himself haha

dude. this is not "changing definitions" just because the first use you happened to come across was mathematical does not make it the only definition.
It's not the only example even though it was originally not a synonym for evidence and the definitions you showed are still not the same. I'm aware that words change meaning over time and i'm not against that because there is no way of stopping it, there is however a problem with non-scientific people changing the terms and then saying "Scientists say vaccines aren't proven safe because [insert ignorant change of a scientific word here] is what they say".

DeletedUser5302

It's not the only example even though it was originally not a synonym for evidence and the definitions you showed are still not the same. I'm aware that words change meaning over time and i'm not against that because there is no way of stopping it, there is however a problem with non-scientific people changing the terms and then saying "Scientists say vaccines aren't proven safe because [insert ignorant change of a scientific word here] is what they say".
It is a synonym for evidence now so you cannot "correct" people on a game forum for using what you consider to be a scientific term. They are using it correctly as defined in the English dictionary, plus as defined by every day use.

You can say you don't like it but you can't "correct" them, as they are using it correctly

It is a synonym for evidence now so you cannot "correct" people on a game forum for using what you consider to be a scientific term. They are using it correctly as defined in the English dictionary, plus as defined by every day use.

You can say you don't like it but you can't "correct" them, as they are using it correctly
Ok, you are correct and have convinced me. I'm going to say i was wrong which is a strength for a human to be able to do, you were right and showed that there are ways of convincing humans even though our brains are made to be stupid.