• Hello, Guest!
    Are you passionate about Tribal Wars 2 and like to help your fellow players?
    We currently have open positions for Forum Moderators!

>> Join the Tribal Wars 2 Team now! <<
    We would love to hear from you!

Tribal Councils

• Thread starter DeletedUser1914
  • Start date

DeletedUser1914

So after arguments happened on a certain world I have to ask myself what should members of a tribal council do and how they get their positions...having played the origional tribal wars and having led several tribes over there I'm curious as to what tribal wars two players think should make one a council member.Is it enough to merge and get a position or do they need to do more? Should they be active on both mails and forum?

DeletedUser1594

i think councils are stupid for the most part. i see tribes that advertise all these different positions, and im not sure for what. i don't see any use above having a total of 3, beyond this it becomes more work to ensure everyone can answer things in a quick timeframe.

DeletedUser1427

^^ Shekel power hungry madman confirmed. :p

I agree with Shekel that authority should be centralized and decisions should be made by 1-2-or-3 people, although a council can be helpful to offer additional opinions on management and tribe direction for those that need or want the help. Shekel is a great example of a guy that can run it all himself, but asks the opinions of a few trusted allies to ensure he's making the most informed decision possible.

That being said, for tribes with 'councils' where authority is shared and decisions must be made by concensus, leadership positions should generally go to people that are willing to be active on forums and in mails. There are of course exceptions, for "back-room guys" who are smart, informed and have good ideas but aren't interested in mundane internal beefs or structural management (most of what goes on in forums or mails).

To be deserving of a 'council' or any leadership position, one must demonstrate one's ability and aptitude, and also take initiative. If someone sees that the forum is disorganized, offer to help clean it up. Offer to lead an operation. Offer to help mediate internal disputes. Taking initiative is extremely important to demonstrate one's value and show that one is deserving of authority.

Leaders should be wise, fair, willing to listen to advice and delegate authority when necessary, and they also need to truly earn the respect of their tribe. Ok enough compliments about Shekel.

DeletedUser1594

Shekel is a great example of a guy that can run it all himself, but asks the opinions of a few trusted allies to ensure he's making the most informed decision possible.

you do realize i don't actually listen to what you guys say....oh you did....how cute :p

DeletedUser

shekel your a troll and you have no idea how to play the game :p :p

DeletedUser1594

i know i suck, hopefully i can learn from your awesome leadership how to play

I think multiple leaders (2-4) is the best system here with tiers of warlords for coordinating assaults and possibly some forum admin/cleaners. I will use my tribe history on EN3 to justify (!IN).

Now when i started TW2 i was a TW1 vet and got asked to join !AC which was a no name tribe at the time (not top 10 not anyone i heard of so on and so forth) and so i joined based on my location and started to grow. They were mainly a group of friends who played TW1 and knew each other that sorda "ran" the tribe. Then i started posting on the forums of the tribe giving advice and trying to teach the newer players the basics. Also i would give evals on the tribes in our area and who will be a threat so on and so forth, oh by the way i was growing very quickly with no signs of slowing down. Soon i was asked to join the group of friends then eventually moved into a "council" position which then we lead as 3 with 3 others who were the tiers mentioned above. It was nice cause PM00 was our conservative laid back guy, descott was the friendly analytical type, and then there was me the more aggressive warmonger type. Soon we merged with W1N and set up to win the world and My Bad the leader of W1N had demonstrated he could run a tribe and it was part of the agreement that he would join our council along with giving some of their leadership roles as well. It all comes down to what works best for you some groups of people like sharing the workload some people like to control everything i have seen both extremes.

It also works great to have more then 1 leader if like me you need to take a long break due to IRL (yes leaders have IRL stuff too haha) came back to going from 5th in the world to 101st haha...Clawing my way back up but that was saddening :p but back none the less.

Shekel will prolly call us cowards for merging (which he did) but the 200 member limit will always make this how worlds end up. Look at all the older worlds they are all like this. you get down to 3 tribes first to merge wins. TW2 needs to fix this imo.

But yea on topic i like multiple leaders with tiered positions below to help run things and to get these positions will be demonstrated by your knowledge play and of course diplomacy.

DeletedUser2048

In Big Fish, we have a council of 6 players currently, but decisions can be made with a majority 4 vote, and 2 of the members are mostly silent (unless an important decision needs to be made. Our tribe is split up into squads, which are organised into groups we call battalions. All the council members are either leaders or 2IC's of battalions, and we use the council mainly to seek advice brainstorm new ideas, and make important decisions that affect the whole tribe. Other than that, each battalion general has autonomy over their own battalion. They may ask advice of the council, but they don't have to.
Most of us were promoted through being good squad leaders, to battalion generals when the old generals left the game or were promoted themselves. Our man who holds the founders badge was immediately given a council seat after a merge, however that does not usually happen now as any tribes merging are a lot smaller - instead the leaders are made into squad leaders.
Anyone can be considered for a council position if one becomes available (more than 6 is too many imo - we recently added a new 2IC, before that there was 5), but they need to have shown initiative within the tribe, to look out for their tribe-mates. For example, I was running a squad when my battalion general became very ill and wound up being hospitalised before he could notify us of inactivity. I noticed he wasn't around and that the battalion was suffering for it, so I stepped up in the interim and reorganised some things, got people talking again, and working together again. When he came back, he made me his 2IC and I was then promoted to general when he was given the founders badge.
Council members are expected to be active in the forums and mails, and to encourage activity and communication within their battalions. They can also assign targets if the squad leaders are not picking any, and they can help coordinate inter-squad attacks, and extra support. They keep the squad leaders accountable and encouraged, and also give advice to anyone who requests it - they are expected to know the game well enough to teach how to play if need be, and also to advise on leadership if the squad leaders want/need it. They also need to have a certain level of maturity, in order to be able to deal with dramas that may arise professionally.
It's all basically a delegation - having 100+ players in a tribe is a lot for one person to keep up with (at one point we had nearly 200), so the squad leaders look after 5-10 players, then the battalion general looks after 5-10 squad leaders, and report to each other for advice and encouragement etc.
It can be fun within the council itself, with differing opinions and personalities, but we have learned to work together in spite of differences, and for the most part things are good - we don't do anything rash, especially if someone is upset, and we know we can privately vent to at least one person in there if need be. It works for us, anyway :)

DeletedUser

As Rebel said, our council is very efficient, and the brilliant thing about it is if a council member or battalion general goes AWOL the tribe can continue as nobody is overworked, through delegation we can take care of eachothers areas if need be, since we're a council we discuss what's going on in each area and this way we have basic knowledge of how things operate in specific area's, what threats there are and what action needs to be taken.

I am currently Big Fish's founder, I'm also a mod for innogames, so sometimes I have to focus on the mod role and can be away from the tribe for awhile, but I know that the council members work together and can cover my duties that I normally perform without having to ask them to do so.

I believe our structure is a huge part of our success, we're currently "running away with it" with the statistics and doing very well with the tribe levels because the tribe has high morale and everyone knows what they're doing.

Big Fish as a tribe are not afraid to have fun, we enjoy what we're doing, I personally believe we're the best tribe on tribal wars 2.

DeletedUser

Or,you can try our style of leading
1 Shadow Dictator(aka me) that is silent all round and only speaks when its important yet still has people listening to his words and executing orders like a little fanatical cult :D
1 Vocal person(in this case good old uttuk for those that know him) that does pretty much everything else.

And thats about it,large scale councils have too many opinions in them that could conflict i find our fanatical cult structure pretty fine since it works,only requires people that would follow said structure. :D

DeletedUser

well we have 5 members in our council and that works well, seeing as it makes certain that there's always one of us online and we can think things through before doing them

DeletedUser486

A little bit of experience in leading I have found a tribe always needs its founder/duke. One leader that carries that authoritative air and is able to put down that command when necessary. It is however, also necessary to have a supporting council that is able to pick up on the Leader in these times should the leader need to step back. I have been very lucky in my supportive leaders.

Council should also take on various responsibilities to divvy up the necessary workload that keeps the tribe functioning, smooth, and progressing. My council are all voted in by their tribemates, and they accept that responsibility which means they not only agree to do that little bit more, but the tribe has absolute faith in them and will follow them.

I am very proud of not just my council, but my tribe also.