• Hello, Guest!
    Are you passionate about Tribal Wars 2 and like to help your fellow players?
    We currently have open positions for Forum Moderators!

>> Join the Tribal Wars 2 Team now! <<
    We would love to hear from you!

Source of browser lag

DeletedUser

I recruit with presets. When I do a lot of recruiting after a large round of attacks, a lot of "Recruitment order has been placed" messages stack on the bottom right part of the screen.

After a recent run of recruiting, my browser started to bog down really bad and lag to the point where it took a second or two before clicks registered. I decided to clear the "Recruitment order has been placed" messages to see how many were stacked. I had over 1000 of these messages stacked. I had more but I got bored of counting and I just refreshed the browser to clear the rest.

Now, when I start to feel the browser get a bit laggy, I clear those messages (by clicking) and the speed comes back.

DeletedUser2185

Alright guys lets see how we can help you :)

Tell me some basic info:
  • What browser you are using
  • Is the browser fully updated
  • How strong is your internet connection
  • Are you using WIFI or hardwire.
  • When did the issue start
  • Does it only happen with recruitment orders?
Answer these for me and I might have some answers.

DeletedUser

Chrome
Yes it is updated
Very Fast (happens on 500mb and 75mb connections)
Hardwired
Been happening forever, but only recently figured out what was causing it
Not sure what you mean. If you recruit a lot quickly, the messages stack in the corner and, I assume, are causing the browser to eat more and more memory.

DeletedUser2754

From my experience there are many different situations that contribute for the lagging:
1. The one described here. The constant pop up of useless messages that tell you what you have just done. If you are recruiting with presets in the rally point they will all clog together and slow the performance of the browser. But from my experience it has nothing to do with the recruiting itself. If you place small amounts of troops in all your villages recruiting you will start receiving many messages that the recruit in a certain village is finished. What makes the browser slow is the fact that the server is trying to communicate you all the useless info that happens in your account and then it keeps all those recent events in the memory working in the background. The only important messages you should receive are error messages. Everything else you should have at least the option to turn off.
2. Just by changing the zoom from the original one is enough to make the browser lag. And even if you later return to the normal zoom, the performance will only recover partially. I could be wrong here but my guess is that the wider the zoom, the more information the browser tries to keep updated from everything that shows on the screen. Attention, I have the least details, no music, no everything, all my options are set to maximize performance and sacrifice graphics.
3. If you send support from, for instance, 100 different villages to one specific village, entering that village is stupidly slow. It takes a huge amount of time to check the village info and if you activate the village and try to do anything with it, it's almost a challenge to your patience. Just try to enter the units window to see incomings and support, what a nightmare. And even if all support has already landed, no movements at all, if for some reason you want to send that support from those 100 villages home but you want to return according to their speed, which means you have to do it one by one personalizing the amount of units to send home, that's an impossible task. For every set of troops you send home the computer lags a bit more.
4. If you enter the village view (gladly we now have a shortkey for every building and we have to do this a lot less) and then visit the hospital is enough to feel some lagging, not dramatic, but it happens.
5. Finally when you have a big account you will also notice a small increase in the lagging as you do stuff. For instance, when I do a farm run, I use the SHIFT+RIGHT ARROW keys to cycle to the next village, then I press my preset hotkey for farming. And I use the mouse to pick the barb. When I start the farm run the keys sequence I have to press can be almost simultaneous, but as I proceed with the farming, the lagging slowly takes in and i need to give some time between the key sequence or I will probably hit my preset key before entering the next village. If in the process I cycle by a deathstar with support from 100 villages, then the lagging is so high, that I prefer to cycle to the next village, then log off and log in to proceed with the farming.

One of the things that is most stupid is that I understand that the computer starts lagging on a village where there is a lot happening (although it shouldn't lag as much. What I don't understand is why the memory is not wiped clean once I go to the next village. As it is, the game is just a add up of lagging until the player feels the browser is getting too slow and just logs off and logs in again.

I also use chrome but I have tried other browsers in the past and they are even worse. If any other has a better performance, just let me know, I don't like chrome and I just use it for tribalwars 2.
I have a fast connection.
And it makes no difference if I use it as wifi or wired the problems don't change).
I never complained about the issue, but has been there since forever.
It happens as a add up thing.

DeletedUser

It's not a memory issue but a CPU issue, the game uses a TON of cpu. As in almost all of it.
And I notice a difference between my home computer (running an i5 4 core @3.3 ghz)
And my work pc which has a much beefier 8 core i7 extreme cpu.
The latter doesn't lag as much and takes longer before slowing to a crawl and I have to refresh browser

DeletedUser2754

The latter doesn't lag as much and takes longer before slowing to a crawl and I have to refresh browser
What you are saying is that despite the CPU at some point it will start lagging...

DeletedUser2084

What you are saying is that despite the CPU at some point it will start lagging...

Yes but for a dev, a memory and CPU issue are quite different things and will help them solve the problem faster. If you said memory problems, they may be looking for memory leaks or w.e but with a CPU usage issue, they should be able pinpoint that there are some resources that are either looping and consuming too many resources or whatever it may be.

DeletedUser2193

Yeah this depends on a computer, but what @hibakusha was saying was that it kind of accumulates to a point where its just necessary to reload the tw2 so it would "clean up" the unnecessary things. I have no clue about programming, but if you say "looping things" (as its seems quite reasonable) is the thing that eats up the performance so be it.

If you send support from, for instance, 100 different villages to one specific village, entering that village is stupidly slow

Yeah having a lot happening on the village (incoming suppp/outgoing attacks) can make doing stuff in that village really slow, I tend to turn off "Show outgoing commands on map" in options while I'm busy with such village.

DeletedUser2754

Yeah having a lot happening on the village (incoming suppp/outgoing attacks) can make doing stuff in that village really slow, I tend to turn off "Show outgoing commands on map" in options while I'm busy with such village.
I always have that turned off.

DeletedUser2193

Oh, interesting, I guess I haven't had that busy villages for that to go through then I guess.

DeletedUser3198

I tried IE, Firefox, Chrome, Opera, safari and Vivaldi
when I have 400~800 incoming fake attacks, It's almost unplayable.
But Vivaldi browser is still playable.
my pc setting... : 256G SSD, core i7, 1Gbps upload/download speed, wifi...
try vivaldi browser.

DeletedUser2084

Ya it seems the game simply can't process hundreds of things smoothly hence why lag can build up and resources are hogged. These should be worked on first imo instead of new features. Then again I've been whining about complete optimization of the game for a long time now yet they only really see it as a secondary matter apparently.

DeletedUser2754

I tried IE, Firefox, Chrome, Opera, safari and Vivaldi
when I have 400~800 incoming fake attacks, It's almost unplayable.
But Vivaldi browser is still playable.
my pc setting... : 256G SSD, core i7, 1Gbps upload/download speed, wifi...
try vivaldi browser.
I like the description on the wiki, that it starts where opera stopped when they decided to go chrome-ish. I'm not happy with a browser ever since opera made that move. I will most definitely try it. Thanks.

DeletedUser

Mozilla Firefox does things also very well - it free to use also.

DeletedUser2185

The game is optimized mostly for Chrome; it will work flawlessly or close to it.

I will say the IE works but not always; and the rest arent even real browsers lol.

and do not ask about Windows 10 browser; wont work either.

DeletedUser

5. Finally when you have a big account you will also notice a small increase in the lagging as you do stuff. For instance, when I do a farm run, I use the SHIFT+RIGHT ARROW keys to cycle to the next village, then I press my preset hotkey for farming. And I use the mouse to pick the barb. When I start the farm run the keys sequence I have to press can be almost simultaneous, but as I proceed with the farming, the lagging slowly takes in and i need to give some time between the key sequence or I will probably hit my preset key before entering the next village. If in the process I cycle by a deathstar with support from 100 villages, then the lagging is so high, that I prefer to cycle to the next village, then log off and log in to proceed with the farming.
This also happens regularly. I have to reload when queuing troops or building up villages half way through because everything just slows after switching from village to village quickly.

okay i can answer your question actually. when i find out you want to know why the game lags or why its so heavy on the pc and thus slowing it down.

the game is laggy because of the way its programed and its not at all optimized opposite of what this dearest senior moderator said above. its a heavy graphical unpotimized stuff that lags and lags and lags and more your acc have properties it lags more. and its far from flawless even with chrome. and lets say nowadays sites for success need to work with everything and that include this beautiful browser i am working with right now called Firefox not just chrome or IE. ( i guess a company like inno should know this with all these years of experience really)

now why the game slow your pc down and kill your memory and CPU and whatever crosses its path its a bit complected but, tw2 is very heavy and not optimized at all. now we dont want servers down. and although servers are good they need help when the game is this heavy. so they make your PC to do most of the job. so instead of server processing 90% of the game and your pc just receiving the proceed information , for servers sake they built tw2 the way YOUR PC process most of the game and servers be chilling on its chair doing more important stuff.(a little hard to explain really hope you get it)

if done right this is the better way to build a site.
using client pc to process data rather than server not only speeds up things but also keeps servers safe and running more smoothly. but tribalwar2 is just so much not optimized in size and flexibility. so if you just leave your browser open for 5 hours and go out when you get back behind your pc you find your physical memory and CPU very tired and hot and even your computer may lag until you close the browser and do a restart and freshen up the poor thing.

DeletedUser2185

okay i can answer your question actually. when i find out you want to know why the game lags or why its so heavy on the pc and thus slowing it down.

the game is laggy because of the way its programed and its not at all optimized opposite of what this dearest senior moderator said above. its a heavy graphical unpotimized stuff that lags and lags and lags and more your acc have properties it lags more. and its far from flawless even with chrome. and lets say nowadays sites for success need to work with everything and that include this beautiful browser i am working with right now called Firefox not just chrome or IE. ( i guess a company like inno should know this with all these years of experience really)

now why the game slow your pc down and kill your memory and CPU and whatever crosses its path its a bit complected but, tw2 is very heavy and not optimized at all. now we dont want servers down. and although servers are good they need help when the game is this heavy. so they make your PC to do most of the job. so instead of server processing 90% of the game and your pc just receiving the proceed information , for servers sake they built tw2 the way YOUR PC process most of the game and servers be chilling on its chair doing more important stuff.(a little hard to explain really hope you get it)

if done right this is the better way to build a site.
using client pc to process data rather than server not only speeds up things but also keeps servers safe and running more smoothly. but tribalwar2 is just so much not optimized in size and flexibility. so if you just leave your browser open for 5 hours and go out when you get back behind your pc you find your physical memory and CPU very tired and hot and even your computer may lag until you close the browser and do a restart and freshen up the poor thing.

You are correct to say that the game is not optimized as it should, however, it is not a graphically intensive game. It is a game that is in 2D, not 3D, it is made to look like 3D but it is not, and as such it does not take a GTX 970 to play this game. As CPU, sure that is important as well, however, 4-8 Gb is more than enough to play the game.

Now, the game is optimized to a certain degree for Chrome, which is why we recommend the game, but more important than this is where the server is that you as a player are connecting to. If there is a problem is lack of servers, not the game itself. It matters how many switches and routers and hops and trace-routes the packet of information take in order to reach the main servers. Most of the lag is due to the high demand and player base that are playing out of North America, if there is not enough bandwidth then the game will lag and take longer to load. So to answer your question, no I was not wrong, but the biggest issue are Web-browser and Server lack-of. That is it, not graphics.